Tuesday, December 23, 2008

The Word of the Day Is Earnest

Last week my wife enlightened me to the fact that the tone I use to write my posts may not be the same tone readers use to interpret those posts. EVERYTHING I write is ironic and can be read on more than one level, I still get accused of being either being too serious or joking. Can't I be both at the same time? You could read any line on this blog as either a tribute or self-parody, hence the title - "I Wear My Snark Upon My Sleeve."

This all leads into the misnomer that is "new wave," which was the term originally used for what's now called punk. Most people write off all '80s music as frivolous and cheesy. My own definition of new wave (see my "Insult to Punk" post) isn't the most complimentary either, but that doesn't mean that I don't dig new wave. I do prefer synth pop to all other forms of '80s pop and I listened to hair metal long before I ever heard punk, but I'll take new wave and party rap over prog rock and G-funk anyday.

I wouldn't agree that all new wave was silly. The majority was an outright reaction to '70s fluff. I divide my new wave into two camps, funny and serious. Funny doesn't equate to silly and serious doesn't negate fun. I'd include a mixtape to listen to here, but Mixwit is ending and I haven't re-installed my iTunes to give you an iMix link. The following lists are neither comprehensive of everything that I like nor should they be considered the finest examples of new wave. Each list (in reverse alphabetical) comes out to 80min. for a burning on CD. Just check off the ones you already own and download the rest. I swear by them all.

New Wave (Funny) - not including anything 100% synthesizers (that's synth pop)

1. "Whip It" - Devo; I first heard it on a Twix commercial

2. "We Got the Beat" - The Go-Gos; used in Disney's Sunday Night Movie The B.R.A.T. Patrol

3. "Walk Like An Egyptian" - The Bangles; refer to the cousin that got me into Depeche Mode

4. "Video Killed the Radio Star" - The Buggles; new wave and MTV

5. "Turning Japanese" - The Vapors; the goofiest

6. "Shake It Up" - The Cars; the poppiest

7. "The Politics of Dancing" - Re-flex; too cool with the volume way up

8. "Oblivious" - Aztec Camera; I gotta wear shades listening to all this beach cruising music

9. "Love Plus One" - Haircut 100; surf guitar, walking bass, '80s sax, and Cherokee vocals on
the chorus - what more could you ask for???

10. "It's the End of the World As We Know It" - R.E.M.; from the movie Dream a Little Dream

11. "In the Name of Love" - Thompson Twins; their rockingest offering and on my top 40 of
all-time

12. "I Want Candy" - Bow Wow Wow; I never liked it till I saw Sofia Coppola's Marie Antoinette

13. "Hong Kong Garden" - Siouxsie & The Banshees; also from Sofia Coppola's Maria Antoinette

14. "Girls Just Want To Have Fun" - Cyndi Lauper; the queen of '80s music

15. "Everybody Have Fun Tonight" - Wang Chung; ultimate party starter

16. "Do You Really Want To Hurt Me" - Culture Club; no thanks to The Wedding Singer

17. "Der Kommissar" - After the Fire; guys have more fun

18. "Deadbeat Club" - The B-52's; sounds just like a John Hughes movie but was never used

19. "Cruel Summer" - Bananarama; from The Karate Kid

20. "Cool Places" - Sparks; energy straight up

21. "Another Nail in My Heart" - Squeeze; postmodern is fun

New Wave (Serious) - more for listening to in bed than for cruising and/or clubbing

1. "Uncertain Smile" - The The; pub rock vs. post-punk vs. psychadelic = '80s

2. "Symmetry" - The Spoons; like Oingo Boingo on acid

3. "Space Age Love Song" - A Flock of Seagulls; yes, I said "serious"

4. "Something About You" - Level 42; my favorite one-hit wonder

5. "The Reflex" - Duran Duran; my favorite Duran Duran song

6. "Not My Slave" - Oingo Boingo; discovered from SLC's KJQ "Classic Alternative"

7. "New Sensation" - INXS; I learned to sing from Michael Hutchence

8. "Modigliani (Lost in Your Eyes)" - Book of Love; definitive '80s sound

9. "The Love Parade" - The Dream Academy; see my "Nonexistent Ferris Bueller" post

10. "I Melt With You" - Modern English; check Nouvelle Vague's bossa nova version

11. "Heaven" - The Psychadelic Furs; the mopiest

12. "Everybody Wants To Rule the World" - Tears for Fears; appreciated by every generation

13. "Don't Dream It's Over" - Crowded House; New Zealand's finest slow dance

14. "The Chase" - Propaganda; of "Dr. Mabuse" fame; definitive '80s sound

15. "Catch My Fall" - Billy Idol; I can't hear Billy and not think of Tom Hanks' Big

16. "Birds Fly (Whisper to a Scream)" - Icicle Works; best track on this playlist

17. "Away" - The Bolshoi; college rock/goth/underground

18. "Alive and Kicking" - Simple Minds; "New Romantics"

OUT TODAY ON DVD: DR. HORRIBLE'S SING-ALONG BLOG

No comments: