Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Comic Book Neophilia

"No! No, freakin' kids. I do not need this, I've got a masters degree in folklore mythology." (Comic Book Guy's first appearance, The Simpsons, Season Two, Episode 21)

My first San Diego Comic-Con in 2004 was its 35th anniversay. I've returned every year since, and so have a lot of ongoing panels, a few of which I've followed since their inception. One panel which I'm sure was distinct and unprecedented in 2004 was "Comics to Go: A New Publishing Medium on Mobile Phones." In 2005 there was "Comic Book Weblogs" ("the fanzines of this century and a new form of instant communication") and in 2006 there was "Comics Podcasting," which featured TEN panelists: Josh Flanagan (iFanboy.com), Bryan Deemer (Comic Geek Speak), Scott Hinze (Fanboy Radio), Lene Taylor (I Read Comics), Joe Gonzalez (Comic News Insider), John Siuntres (Word Balloon), Chris Marshall (Collected Comics Library), Charly La Greca (Indie Spinner Rack), Jose Brito (Los Comic Geekos), and Augie de Blieck Jr. (Comic Book Resources Pipeline).

Last year, all of the above doubled. "UClick: Mobile Comics," presented by GoComics, was joined by "Clickwheel: On-Demand Digital Comics for iPod and iPhone." There were two different panels for live podcasts, "Geek Roundtable Live" and "How to Make Webcomics: Live!" And those were separate from "The Third Annual Comics Podcasting Panel" and "The Comics Blogosphere," which featured David Brothers (4thletter!), Jeff Lester (The Savage Critic(s)), Laura Hudson (Myriad Issues), Tim Robins (Mindless Ones), and moderator Douglas Wolk (Reading Comics). I'm afraid I didn't attend any of these panels. I was still reading comics and comics news the old-fashioned way. It would appear that I was three years behind on both blogging and podcasting, as far as they were each panel material for Comic-Con. If not for an article in the last issue of Comics Now! magazine, I might have continued to ignore how prolific podcasting has become. This year I'm going to celebrate the 40th anniversary of Comic-Con by searching out a panel on some new trend that I can then brag about attending in three years when I realize I'm behind on something else.

No comments: