Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Follow That Star, Part II

"We could not have existed if we were from New York or L.A. We would've been so self-conscious. People in New York wallow in their artistry. Las Vegas doesn't have that indieness. We were able to do what we wanted without worrying about being cool . . . A lot is made of the fact that I'm a Mormon. That's uncharted territory for a lot of people. They don't understand it. When I said that Paul McCartney has a God-given talent - first of all, that's just a term. But I think everyone has a gift." (lead singer of The Killers, Brandon Flowers, Spin, February 2009)

"Family films? Forget that nonsense. There are so many well-behaved people of every religion on the planet who are eager and capable of producing such films. Mormons have something different, unique, vitally important to offer. Dedicate yourselves to making substantial films of elevated craft, undeniable artistry and potent themes. In my experience, those who wave the flag of "family films" are usually those who have discovered that they lack anything valuable to say, the talent to say it, and the ability to compete in the marketplace. They are looking for a popular cause to compensate for (and to excuse) their lack of ability." (writer/director of God's Army and Brigham City, Richard Dutcher, Utah Valley's Daily Herald, 12 April 2007)

For the record, I don't even like The Killers, but I wanted to share the above quotes (which tie into each other) and I agree with the second one that most family films are lame. I realize that neither of the opinions in that statement are popular ones to have. To borrow a term from Swing Vote (two and a half stars total), I'm not trying to be a "conscious objector." I, like Kevin Costner's version of Homer Simpson in the movie, usually give the wrong answer in the least tactful way when asked for my opinion. That's why I liked Kevin Costner's character, and Swing Vote in general. Since critics and moviegoers were split on the movie, I guess that's just another unpopular opinion for me to bear. Oh well, I've liked Kevin Costner since he played a WWII cartoonist on Amazing Stories and my favorite roles of his are not the ones you're thinking of - I prefer Robin Hood and The Postman to Field of Dreams or Dances with Wolves. Swing Vote features Costner's best likable old cuss since, well, his last movie, or the one before that. See, even if The Upside of Anger or Rumor Has It... were both bad scripts, they still starred the guy that held his own with De Niro in The Untouchables and Sir Michael Gambon in Open Range. So it should be obvious that I watched Swing Vote because I like Kevin Costner, but the girl who played his daughter was good too, and then there's Kelsey Grammer, Dennis Hopper (reunited with Costner after Waterworld), Nathan Lane, Stanley Tucci, and George Lopez. That cast is worth half a yellow star at least. The script should have just focused on the father-daughter-reporter triangle though. I liked it better before the presidential candidates arrived in town (in New Mexico no less!) but the ending redeemed itself for the middle. I was so worried about how they would handle his vote, but the credits start rolling after he enters the booth. The Bud character not only shares his name with a beer, but drinks his share of it on plastic lawn furniture. He represents "America," which according to the movie, is "not highbrow, not urban" and "likes football." How do I feel about that? I don't care, I'm probably white trash myself (although I don't drink and I think football's boring). The morals to the story are to be informed, speak up for the poor and the sick, and watch your language. That's pretty good for a movie where the best scene portrays illegal immigrants filming a campaign ad against themselves for a picnic table buffet. There's more phony campaign ads where that one came from, and they're all funny and over the top. The editing is stylish aside from the the movie being too long. The soundtrack's mostly classic rock and the use of Moby balances for the Willie Nelson. If you're looking for a "family film" with loads of talent and a little something to say, uh, "this is the place."

No comments: