Friday, February 20, 2009

Join My Book Club

I work with a woman who is a voracious reader. Why is it that people always use the word "voracious" in conjunction with readers? Anyway, I asked her what her favorite book was, and she said A Prayer for Owen Meany, by John Irving (1989). While I was discussing it with her in the break room, another woman at work came in, told us that was one of her favorite books too, and asked if we had read The Kite Runner, by Khaled Hosseini (2003). I made that my second reading assignment, and then I was on a roll. My voracious reading buddy made me a list of her recommended reading with multiple books from 20 different authors (see below). So far, I've only read two on the list, but a friend from outside of work loaned me a copy of The Life of Pi, by Yann Martel (2001), which I started a while back and should really finish now.

Aubert, Brigitte - La Mort des neiges (Death from the Woods)
Enger, Leif - Peace Like a River
Frey, James - A Million Little Pieces
Haruf, Kent - Eventide and Plain Song
Hickman, Homer - October Sky (adapted for film in 1999)
Hornby, Nick - About a Boy (adapted for film in 2002)
Hyde, Catherine Ryan - Pay It Forward (adapted for film in 2000)
King, Stephen - Hearts in Atlantis (adapted for film in 2001) and On Writing (which I've read)
Lamb, Wally - I Know This Much to Be True
Larson, Erik - Devil in the White City
Martez, Yann - The Life of Pi
McEwan, Ian - Amsterdam and The Sea
McLarty, Ron - The Memory of Running
McMurty, Larry - The Last Picture Show (adapted for film in 1971) and Lonesome Dove (adapted for TV in 1989)
Moore, Christopher - Fluke
Price, Reynolds - Noble Norfleet
Proulx, E. Annie - The Shipping News (adapted for film in 2001)
Russo, Richard - Empire Falls (which I've read) and Straight Man
Sherwood, Ben - The Man Who Ate the 747
Shields, Carol - Unless

2 comments:

Darrell and Amanda said...

what about "atlas shrugged?" it's only listed as one of the most influential books in america, next to the bible. it also mirrors the current state of the union, and will give you nightmares if you buy into it.

Colleen said...

Voraciouses to try out, 2009:

1. That Axl Rose has a voracious appetite for destruction.

2. Lambchop had a voracious affinity for Rosemary.

3. Ok, so I was trying to think of a replacement for gluttonous, but then I thought of Se7en, and then I thought, that was the very first date I ever went on (with Matt Dunn), and then I kind of fell down the rabbit hole and couldn't recover. A voracious kind of fall down, though.