Monday, October 4, 2010

'80s Vampire Movie I Just Saw for the First Time

The Hunger (two stars total)
Contribution to vampire movie mythology - a head vampire is killed because one of her half-vampire lovers commits suicide

Apparently there's a book by the same author that wrote Wolfen (1978, adapted in 1981) and The Day After Tomorrow (2004, adapted in 2007), and it clears up all the confusion that this movie causes. It's not the same book pictured here, but I found that cover to be somewhat applicable. Believe it or not, when I was in high school, I had an idea for a book about a teenage vampire living in a commune with an older vampire who's a doctor and it all revolved around whether or not to turn the protagonist's girlfriend into a vampire as well. Sound familiar? Honestly, I was so mad when Twilight went viral because I figured I'd given up a million dollar idea by not writing my book sooner. Then I realized that the timing would have been off. When I was in high school, kids weren't reading like they have since Harry Potter (1997 in the UK). My protagonist wasn't a girl and my book wouldn't have included werewolves or love triangles. Underworld (2003) hadn't yet popularized the face-off between the two species and championed vampires as the good guys. How does any of this apply to The Hunger (1983)? It doesn't, at least not directly, but the bottom line is that The Hunger was perfect for its time and still got panned by the critics, so nothing's ever a sure thing. It opens with a nightclub playing Bauhaus (and one of the first songs on "My History of Goth Rock" post, 9/2/08), it features music video style editing (just a couple years after MTV was born) and starred David Bowie the same year that he released "China Girl", "Let's Dance" and "Modern Love." Music is almost the only thing I can recommend about the movie. The soundtrack features two pieces from Bach, one of them being the "Suite for Cello" that I first discovered on The Soloist movie trailer, one piece from Schubert, and last but not least, the "Flower Duet" from the opera, Lakmé, by Delibes. A few months ago I purchased, count 'em up, SIX different versions of the "Flower Duet" on iTunes and I like them all equally. Don't ask me what that has to do with vampires but if you think about it, what better way to spend eternity than catching up on classical composers and learning to play the violin?

No comments: