Friday, December 24, 2010

The Eleventh CD of Christmas

"The reggae Christmas tradition didn't just roll in overnight, it reaches all the way back to the old-school artists who cut their teeth in the pre-reggae days of ska and rocksteady . . . Ska pioneers Byron Lee & The Dragonaires pump some punchy horns and perky organ riffs into an old holiday standard, ending up with "Winter Wonderland Reggae." And historic harmonizers The Ethiopians stir up a rocksteady beat for the ring of that "Ding Dong Bell." (iTunes Essentials Reggae Christmas "Deep Cuts" introduction)

The first time I ever heard a reggae version of a Christmas song was six years ago in Toronto. We were visiting my sister-in-law and at the time she lived mere blocks from Kensington Market, apparently the home of a significant Rastafari population. I'm always intrigued by music that's played loud enough to be considered noise pollution, so I made my way over to the tent where this old Jamaican guy was blaring his very own Soul Vibes Reggae X-mas mix CD from a speaker half as tall as me. For fear that nobody would believe what I'd heard, I asked him if he would sell me a copy. Next thing I know he's pulled out an suitcase full of bootleg CDs and wants to bargain. The CD (homemade liner notes pictured above) turned out to sound like crap on every other stereo system besides his and maybe I was high on whatever that guy was smoking when I bought it, but it has led to further enlightenment, also known as "My Top 20 Reggae Christmas Songs" playlist (titles in bold are personal favorites):

The Chistmas Album
1. "Rich Man for Christmas" - Lady Saw

Christmas Eclectic
2. "Silent in the Night (Dub Mix 2)" - Up Bustle & Out feat. Blaze

Christmas Greetings from Studio One
3. "Jingle Bells" - Roy Richards
4. "White Christmas" - Bob Marley

Christmas Party Time in the Tropics
5. "Winter Wonderland Reggae" - Byron Lee & The Dragonaires

Now That's What I Call Christmas! Vol. 4
6. "A Child Is Born" - Rihanna
7. "Drummer Boy" - Sean Kingston

Reggae Christmas
8. "Here Comes Santa Claus" - Winston Francis
9. "Have Yourself a Merry Christmas" - Heavy Beat Crew (if just for the lyrics, "if you drink, then remember don't drive, want you all to stay alive")

Reggae Christmas from Studio One
10. "Hi Fashion Christmas" - Dillinger & The Brentford Harmonics (samples "54-46 That's My Number" by Toots & The Maytals)
11. "Real Christmas Rock" - Tennessee Brown & The Silvertones

Sweet Reggae Christmas
12. "Christmas a Come" - Chaka Demus & Ini Kamoze

Trojan Christmas Box Set
13. "Ding Dong Bell" - The Ethiopians
14. "Merry Merry Christmas" - Alton Ellis & The Lipsticks
15. "The Night Before Christmas" - Eek-A-Mouse
16. "O Come All Ye Faithful" - Freddie McGregor
17. "We Wish You a Reggae Christmas" - Yellowman
18. "Santa Claus Dub" - The Aggrovators
19. "C-H-R-I-S-T-M-A-S" - The Rhythm Aces

Verve Remixed Christmas
20. "I've Got My Love to Keep Me Warm (Yesking Remix)" - Billie Holiday

No comments: